History of the Mentone-Parkdale Parish
The Parish of Mentone was created in 1904, when the area encompassing Mentone, Parkdale, Cheltenham, Highett, Beaumaris, Sandringham, Mordialloc, Edithvale and Chelsea was cut off from the “Brighton Mission”, which was ministered by priests residing in the present Parish of St James Gardenvale. Over the course of the ensuing years as areas developed areas of the parish were excised from Mentone Parish to form new parish that exist to this very day.
In 1970 the Parkdale East section of the parish, which had its own school and temporary Church was formed into the new parish of St John Vianney, East Parkdale.
There have been four Churches that have served the people of Mentone. The first two Churches were built on the site of the present Kilbreda College. In the late 1920s the site of the present Church and school were purchased and the third Church was built as a combined Hall/ Church within the new school complex.
With the arrival of Fr Francis O’Hanlon as Parish Priest in 1948, planning began for the building of the permanent Church. On Sunday, 19th May 1957, Fr O’Hanlon turned the first sod preparatory to the building of St Patrick’s Church. The Church was blessed and opened by Archbishop Simmonds on March 13th 1960 and Solemnly Consecrated by Bishop Arthur Fox on May 19th 1965.
Education has been a priority of the life of the parish. St Patrick’s School was founded with the arrival of the Brigidine Sisters in 1904. St John Vianney’s School commenced in 1960.
In the last ten years the Parish Priest of Mentone has also had responsibility for the Parish of East Parkdale, due to a shortage of clergy. Just over 5 years ago the two parishes were merged as the present Parish of Mentone-Parkdale.